We always say that health come first because it is the most important thing, but do we live a healthy life?
In this article you can read an extract from one of the Shaolin Classics. It is written by a monk who was an extraordinary artist and scholar, in which he gives advices on how people can stay young and healthy.
Staying young is more connected to mentality than to physical health. Shaolin monks are famous for their peaceful way of life and their tips can help you lead a more healthy life in this urban, modern world.
These are his ten tips:
1. Don’t think too much. Thinking takes energy and can make you look old.
In order to follow their steps, you must let go of the bad habits and focus on quality, not quantity. Meditation is the best way to achieve long and healthy life.
2. Don’t talk too much. Most people either talk or do. Better to do.
These monks believe the difference between talking and doing is the solution to healthier life. Prevent stress by being more active than vocal.
3. When you work, work for 40 minutes then stop for 10 minutes. When you look at something all the time, it can damage your eyes and also your internal organs and peace.
Busy people today ignore this rule. Take a 10 minutes break after 40 minutes of intense work and regain peace and energy to continue with work tasks.
4. When you are happy, you need to control your happiness; if you lose control then you damage your lung energy.
5. Don’t worry too much or get angry because this damages your liver and your intestines.
According to Shaolin monks, controlling anger and even happiness is really important, because these feelings can damage our liver and intestines. Anger and happiness should not take over our mind and body.
6. When you eat food don’t eat too much, always make sure you are not quite full as this can damage your spleen. When you feel a bit hungry then eat a little.
Shaolin monks advise us to eat a little when we feel hungry and always do it in moderation because our health can be damaged.
7. When you do things, take your time, don’t hurry too much. Remember the saying “Hasten slowly you will soon arrive”.
This old saying works wonders. Shaolin monks advise us to take our time and not to hurry too much if we want to stay young forever.
8. If you only do physical exercise all the time and you never do Qigong this makes you lose your balance and you will become impatient. You lose the Yin of your body. Exercise balances the Yin and the Yang.
Physical exercise without Qigong (practice of aligning body, breath and mind) will lead to intolerance. Balance of Yin and Yang can only be achieved through combining exercise and meditation.
9. If you never exercise, just peace, meditation, soft training, Qigong, then this doesn’t give you Yang energy so you use up your Yang energy.
If you choose only meditation, instead of combining physical exercise, it won’t give you the Yang energy you need.
10. Shaolin Gong Fu gives you everything. The purpose of our training is to balance our Yin and Yang. How many hours is not important. It’s down to knowing what your body needs.
Remember that balancing the Yin and Yang is of great significance in order to stay young forever. Knowing what your body needs is more essential than the number of hours spent training the body and mind.