Maybe citrus fruits have high content of vitamins, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, but also they are rich in sugars. If you keep a balanced diet, be very careful how much citrus fruits you are consuming.
We already know that there is a huge difference between organic and non-organic grown fruits, which includes chemical contamination. The best citrus fruits can be grown in your own yard, and you will see and taste the better quality and freshness.
This is how you can grow your own citrus fruits:
You will need:
– 2-3 years old baby lemon tree
– a clay or plastic pot (with holes in the bottom)
Put the tree in the pot and at the drainage container put some stones for better air flow.
The tree requires 8-10 hours of sunlight daily and frequent watering. 6-9 months are needed for the lemons to ripe.
A lemon can be grown from a seed too.
What you need?
Remember that non-organic lemons often include non-germinating seeds. So, you need an organic lemon. Get a pot and fertile potting soil which includes vermiculite, peat, perlite and natural fertilizers. Place the pot in a sunny, indoor growing location.
How to grow your own lemon tree?
– Moisten the potting soil, but not too much. It should be damp all the way through.
– Remove a seed from a lemon and clean it from the pulp. Plant the seed immediately. It has to be moist when put in the soil. Plant it half an inch deep in the middle of the pot.
– Fill a spray bottle with water and lightly spray the soil above the seed.
– Take a clear plastic wrap and cover the pot. Close the edges with a rubber band and with a pencil make small holes in the top.
– The soil should not get dry. Spray it with water occasionally.
– After about two weeks, a sproutling should come out. When it happens, remove the plastic covering. Also you can use a grow light if you do not have enough sunlight.
– The plant needs eight full hours of light daily and damp soil. Moreover, give the plant moderate doses of organic fertilizer.
– Your plant can be attacked by bugs or diseases. You can protect it by pruning off brown, dead leaves when required.
– When the plant becomes too big for the small pot, place it in a larger pot. The procedure of replanting is similar with the procedure of the first planting. The older plant does not need as much water as the younger plant, but it needs a sufficient water amount.
In addition, if you want to grow your own mandarins indoors, a baby tree is the best option too.
The growth of baby trees is more successful than seeds. The preparation of the pot is the same as the one of the lemons. You need rocks and drainage holes at the bottom. Also the tree needs regular sunlight.
Mandarin trees are safe to be grown indoors because they do not become taller than 6 feet. Also, the tree needs water, but do not over-water it. Change the pot with a bigger one when the roots come off.
The oranges are fully grown when they turn orange. Pick them immediately otherwise they will lose their flavor.
When you collect the oranges off the tree, make sure the little button at the top of the fruit stays there.
You will have delicious, organic and tasty citrus fruits at your home without much work.