Tonsils have an essential role being a part of our immune system. They fight against viral and bacterial infections, before reaching the respiratory tract and other body parts. Tonsils include certain cells that trap infection that enters in our body.
Occasionally, tonsils get infected by the germs that they are trying to block. Then the tonsils get swollen and inflamed, which causes pain and distress.
This condition, known as tonsillitis can be cured without medical intervention. Instead, self-care and home remedies can help.
Home Remedies for Tonsillitis
The salt water gargle is considered to be the most widely known home remedy for swollen tonsils. It eases throat pain and reduces swelling. Salt water cleans the mouth and throat, preventing the rise of further infection on the tonsils surface.
Here are other popular and effective tonsillitis treatments:
– Lime is a natural remedy for tonsillitis. In warm water add lime juice, honey and salt and sip the mixture to relieve the pain from swollen tonsils.
– Add a pinch of turmeric powder and black pepper in boiled water. Drink the combination before going to bed for 3 nights minimum in a row.
– Prepare a juice of beetroot, carrot or cucumber and drink it every day. It will increase your immune system and fight the infection. You can either drink these juices individually or combine them.
– Boil fenugreek seeds in water for 30 minutes. Strain it and gargle with the water after it cools off. Fenugreek includes antibacterial properties and thus it is a terrific remedy for tonsillitis.
– Use fresh figs to prepare a paste. But, you have to boil them first, and then grind them into a paste. Apply this paste on the external area of the throat to calm down a rash and redness of the throat and ease the pain.
– Mixing lemon and honey in chamomile tea is an old remedy for tonsillitis. The chamomile has the role of a relaxant and reduces stress and anxiety, along with treating the symptoms of this condition.
– Make a gargle with alum and water, or just apply alum powder on the surface of the tonsils. This remedy can reduce inflammation and prevent infections in the future.
All these remedies are helpful, but if the pain hasn’t reduced at all after a few days, consult your doctor for medical prescription.
Diet for Tonsillitis
Switch to a liquid only diet for a few days if you are dealing with tonsillitis. Consuming fruit juices for 3-5 days can boost immunity and fight against infections. Consume only orange juice and water till the pain decreases.
After these 3-5 days, go on a complete fruit diet for the next days. Try to eat a healthy combination of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts, which will help boosting the immune system after the infection.
Avoid dehydration and itching, and keep the throat moisturized with drinking plenty of fluids.
Moreover, try not consuming carbonated drinks, hot tea and coffee, since they can worsen the condition. Also, avoid sour and spicy foods when having tonsillitis. Hot sauces, yogurt, sour cream and fried foods aggravate the throat and cause more inflammation and pain.
Although it sounds strange, popsicles and ice cream can soothe a sore throat.